Thursday, December 17, 2015

Losing circumference and weight with lipedema legs

By Tatjana van der Krabben

Losing weight from your legs and losing circumference on your legs. Despite having lipedema. Can it be done? Many say no. Some say yes. Now, what is it? It’s individual, that’s what it is. It’s always individual cases of people saying they managed to lose weight and they do it with very personal, customized regimes.
But what makes weight-loss in lipedema legs possible for some?

There are 3 factors that we know of. If you’re lucky one or more of these factors could help you reduce mass on your legs (and lipedema arms).

Inflammation


Although still not broadly supported, and certainly not in literature, it is believed that lipedema flares up with inflammation. With inflammation not only comes pain and fatigue, but also swelling. If you manage to reduce inflammation, you may be able to reduce the swelling. You’ll mostly shift water weight and toxins, but as a big added bonus you’ll feel better for it, too.

We don’t respond all alike to inflammatory factors. Some of us have cut out so many foods, additives and allergens they are clueless what else could possibly be causing the remaining inflammation. Others drop bread and sugar to a degree and shed pounds instantly. No, fairness is not on the table in the lipedema world.

An untreated serious edema component

If you have lipo-lymphedema or a strong edema component with your lipedema for another reason and you haven’t started treatment for that, there’s a lot to gain. Or to lose, actually. The more edema you have, the more water weight could be shifted.

Could, because the edema component is there for a reason. If you’re prone to swelling, it won’t magically disappear with (self) management. Or perhaps you can’t afford treatment or don’t have access to proper treatment. It takes hard work and more so dedication, but with untreated edema there’s usually margin for improvement there.

Amount of lipedema tissue in your legs


The top two factors I was aware of. But this one was an eye opener:

We don’t all have the same amount of lipedema tissue in our limbs.
As explained to me in a presentation by a therapist specialized in lipedema: some of us are lucky and still have a good amount of normal fat cells in their legs. That would be good news since normal fat cells do what the fat police wants: they do respond to diet and exercise. And there’s your personal margin for improvement. Assuming your thyroid is on top of his game and you’re physically able to exercise and, and…

Unfortunately all these factors are highly individual. This makes good results with diet, exercise, supplements and what not also highly individual. “Because I did it” is not proof you can lose lipedema weight. Most likely, if you have lost weight, you lost water weight and/or normal, unaffected fat, which is great, of course. Even if you don’t care too much about your size, dragging less weight around with you is always easier. It also may very well be a sign you are not only managing your weight, but also your lipedema in a way you experience less symptoms.

I would say (self) management of lipedema matters always. Whether you manage to drop weight or not. There are other things to gain from lipedema management: less discomfort, less pain, less fatigue and improved mobility. As I get older I must say I value these factors more than that number on my scales.

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I totally agree with you, John. The post is really useful. Before reading that post I didn't know about lipedema diet. Now I decide to try it. I want to know can I take something like http://weightlosstop.com/special_k_challenge_review.php in a complex with lipedema diet??

      Delete
    2. Hard to say without actual research in this topic. However, this product contains soy, which is not recommended by several leading sources, since soy contain phyto estrogen while lipedema is believed to be related/coincide with estrogen dominance.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, The top two factor is amount of lipedema tissue in your legs.
    Thank for this post Lipese LLC !

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am agree with your post. I hope you are always shared me this type of post. Thanks a lot. weight loss tips

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this; it's hopeful! I have realized I have lipedema and it has scared me. Some people seem to like that they have lipedema because then they don't feel "guilty" for their weight. It was depressing for me because, frankly, I'd rather just be "normal fat." Because then I can lose it.

    But I know I've lost a lot of weight in the past, when I was eating REALLY clean and getting lots of exercise, so I felt like maybe all these lipedema sites were wrong, and it could still be lost.

    So this is hopeful for me! I'd rather be "guilty" (whatever that means) than be stuck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope you're among those who manage to lose weight. Good luck with your efforts.

      Delete
  7. Hi
    I can't get a proper diagnosis and need to find a doctor aware of Lipedema. I'm 65 and only came across this 6 mos. ago. Dr Herbst isn't taking new patients, & I really don't want to go to a liposuction Dr. first. I do have a great MLD therapist trained in Vodder method and am doing that as much as possible. Plus dry brushing. Occasional CVAC also. Can you recommend a good doctor? I'm in LA and there are WAL Liposuction doctors but I need a proper diagnosis & guidance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't know of an alternative in that area, I'm afraid. We've tried to find alternative doctors multiple times, but there simply are few. However, the FDRS has a more comprehensive list of informed doctors you could try instead. I would check their page for names. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Dr. Iker is Santa Monica. She diagnoses lipedema and helps with treatment.

      Delete
  8. Also, report any unusual symptoms or allergic reactions you may experience.
    supplementreviewed.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. In this contemporary era, wellness centers and fitness organizations all over the country are thriving as more and more people seek information regarding how to shed unwanted weight.
    size genetics

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like your take on the issue. I now have a clear idea on what this matter is all about.. weight loss with diet

    ReplyDelete

  11. thanks for your good health information
    Weight Loss

    ReplyDelete
  12. Greetings! Very helpful advice within this article!
    It is the little changes that produce the largest changes.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a shame you don't have a donate button! I'd definitely donate to this superb blog!
    I suppose for now i'll settle for book-marking
    and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward
    to fresh updates and will share this site with my Facebook group.
    Talk soon!

    ReplyDelete