Friday, March 17, 2017

My last lipedema blog – although never say never

This is my last lipedema blog, unless I stumble upon some huge scientific breakthrough I just have to share with you. Beyond that, it’s time to retire.

I’m currently at my heaviest, over 40 and yet I’m the happiest I’ve been in a decade. My lipedema is not stable, the fat has crept back on after liposuction, I deal with food allergies that mess up my attempts to eat low carb, and yet I’m doing great. I’m not pain-free, my mobility is affected and yet I’m enjoying life to the fullest of my abilities.

I finally got it. My life is a gift. Growing older is not a curse. I get to watch my kids grow up, spend more time with my husband. I managed to start my own business, lived that dream to write a novel (and started on the next). I travel whenever I can. I do what I love and I love what I do. It’s a gift. I treasure it all and I’m no longer willing to give my life a 2-star review because I got dealt crappy legs. And crappy arms. And some serious badonkadonk extraordinaire. There’s a whole world out there and I want to explore it, experience it, as much as I can.

The trick, for me, is to put the lipedema on the backburner, not allowing it to become a priority (anymore). Unfortunately, ignoring my lipedema to a responsible degree takes effort. You can’t read everything about lipedema, manage a lipedema-themed Twitter account, blog about lipedema, frequent lipedema-themed support groups, attend lipedema conferences and ignore lipedema. Obviously. So, I need to step back. Be selfish, or rather, take care of myself. Therefore I retire from lipedema blogging and will devote less time to lipedema-related topics, groups and events.
I wish you all well. Writing for this blog, for you, has been an honor.

Lots of love,
Tatjana

12 comments:

  1. I'm a little sad to see you go. I loved your blog entries, but I completely understand your need to take a step back. It's similar with me, I'm active in a lipedema forum, but I do need frequent breaks. I wish you all the best, lots of health and fun living your life! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and take care. Forums are a beautiful, but also an intense thing.

      Delete
    2. I love that you're making yourself the priority. Congratulations on creating a life you are meant to live now.

      Delete
    3. Thank you. It feels like the right decision. Wishing you and you all that sense of belonging and purpose. However, experiencing the support of others and knowledge that we are anything but alone with this thing called lipedema certainly has given me a push in the right direction.

      Delete
  2. Take good care of you, Tatjana. You are worth more than mountains of diamonds. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Thankfully we will stay in touch. :)

      Delete
  3. Wish you all the best ! keep smiling ! Greetings from a Belgium mom of 3 with stage 2 lipodema..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for all you have done and written. May you be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally understand xx In my 5 years since diagnosis I've stepped back a couple of times. You need to protect your sanity and enjoyment of life too! I hope you'll dip in from time to time, as I do. Thank you for your dedication and revealing, heartfelt blogs which so many of us identify with. Don't be a stranger!xxx Tess (Lipoedema UK, Lipedema Project and Lipoedema Ladies)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've met too many wonderful people to even consider dropping off the face of the earth. ☺️

      Delete