Monday, July 30, 2018

Maggie has left the building

By Tatjana van der Krabben

In 2013 co-writer and co-blogger Maggie McCarey and I finally met in person. We only got to spend a day and a half together, but we seemingly manipulated time and made at least a week’s worth of memories. She taught me about the rich history of both the Stockade Historic District, Schenectady, NY and her precious mountains where she had a lovely little house, introduced me to her family, gave me a tour around Amish country and introduced me to an Amish friend, and we even found time to relax on a bench on the banks of the Mohawk River, while looking out for otters. In the meantime ideas were flying around and we discussed the potential of a clinic specialized in treating lipedema that someone suggested to set up with us. Just like that.
That is how I will remember her: a warm personality, a big heart, a creative mind, unafraid of dreaming, embracing life. Mindful of the past, the present and the future.


LIPESE was Maggie’s brain child. The lipedema handbook, the blog, the Facebook support group: she was the driving force behind our every effort. She counseled countless people behind the scenes, advocated for several men with suspected lipedema who have an even harder time obtaining diagnosis and adequate help. But one facet of her versatile legacy can be found in her brutally honest and detailed blog posts in which she shared a wealth of knowledge and experience regarding her journey with lipedema.

Maggie, it has been an honor being your friend and working with you. You will be missed.

Maggie has passed on peacefully, but all too soon, on July 30, 2018.

7 comments:

  1. Blessings as you travel beyond now, Maggie. Thank you, Tatiana. May we continue on in the heart as big as our universe intended. With much love forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Tatiana for a beautiful tribute to my mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She deserved nothing less. She was one of kind and a great influence on so many. I can only hope that you can at least find some comfort in that. Again, so sorry for your loss.

      Delete
  3. A beautiful and fitting tribute to a lady who helped so many xx She has left s fine legacy, but gone too soon. Condolences to her family x Tess

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could have met her! We were both from Schenectady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. she was someone who will never be forgotten...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whaaaat? It's nearly one year later and I'm just finding this out from a new post on the fb page. Maggie was so full of knowledge & she willingly gave of her wisdom. My heart is saddened and yet, so thankful for all she's done for us Lippy ladies. She was one of my 1st Lipedema "friends" and she even celebrated with me by posting a congratulatory note when I finally got married. Oh, Maggie, may you be pain free & at peace. You are missedđź’”

    ReplyDelete