Friday, December 7, 2012

Living and Dealing with Lipedema

By Christina Routon

Over the years, even before I knew I had lipedema, I've had to make adjustments in how I lived my life. Thinking ahead, the weather, the clothes to wear, would there be a chair I could sit in? Here are a few tips on how I've dealt with my legs.

Tip 1 - Wear knee length or capri length workout shorts / leggings under dresses and skirts to protect skin.

I discovered when I was pregnant that wearing dresses and skirts, even with hose, wasn't going to work with  my legs. The skin on my legs would rub together as I walked and it got so bad, even with hose, I knew I had to find something else to wear. These were the days before Spanx and other types of shapewear, so I found some comfortable workout shorts. I had knee length pair and a capri length that went over my knees, so I could wear them under pretty much anything. Yes, they were hot, especially in the summer and wearing them over hose, but they protected my skin.

Tip 2 - Sideways - sit

I learned this while going to amusement parks and riding the roller coasters. While I technically did fit in the seat, the bar coming down over my legs hurt and pinched, sometimes leaving bruises. What I started doing was getting into the coaster's car, sitting sideways or slinking down just a bit in the seat with my legs straight out in front of me. They would lower the bar and then I would be able to adjust my legs under the bar. It wasn't always comfortable, and I don't know if it compromised safety, but I was able to ride the coaster. Sometimes I still do this at an older movie theater or restaurant booth if the seat is narrow.

Tip 3 - Arrive early to save a seat

No matter where you're going, try to make sure you arrive a few minutes early if possible, especially if you need a seat and don't know what types of seating will be available. If you're going to someone's house, do your best to arrive right on time and scope out a comfortable seat. This could be a large chair, a dining room chair without arms, or a place on the couch. Save the seat with your purse and do whatever you can to keep it as the night goes on. Do your mingling with your friends during the early part of the evening so when you need to rest you'll be able to head right to the seat you've saved.

Tip 4 - Buy the best pair of supportive shoes that you can afford

One of the common physical traits of lipedema are fat pads on the inside portion of our knees. These pads tend to bow our legs in slightly, which affects our gait, and our feet tend to pronate. One way to protect our feet is to buy good, supportive shoes - the best we can afford. By buying good shoes instead of the cheap $10 tennis shoes, we are able to treat our feet better, have less pain and more energy to walk, exercise and go to work. I learned a long time ago the cute shoes would end up doing more harm than good when it comes to my feet. You don't have to buy old-lady shoes or nursing type shoes with a large sole. Just buy the best pair of shoes you possibly can and replace them every six to seven months.

I'm blessed that Lipedema hasn't impacted my mobility to the extent that I need a cane or wheelchair, but these are considerations for other women who deal with this disorder. What are some tips on adjusting your life with lipedema?


No comments:

Post a Comment