Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Summertime Blues

We're heading into warm weather in the United States and for those of us with Lipedema it usually means more of the same - staying bundled and hot in slacks and jeans and sleeves while everyone else - in our eyes, at least - is comfortable in shorts and cute summer dresses.

I was diagnosed with Lipedema last June, and I promised myself it would be the last summer I would be standing on the shore in jeans while the rest of my family enjoyed themselves on the lake. It would be the last summer I stayed far, far away from the swimming pool and it would be the last summer I continued to wear the same clothes and fabrics I always wore. This summer would be different.

I asked the helpful Facebook group, Lipedema Sisters USA, how they planned to stay comfortable this summer as well. Their top pick for comfortable clothes - maxi dresses.

http://thequeenbuzz.com/dee-buzz/spring-break-essentials
A maxi dress hides your legs and can be worn to work, out to dinner or to a casual summer party. I have a couple of long sleeveless dresses that I'll be pairing up with a light sweater for indoor days when the AC gets too cold. You can wear a maxi dress bare legged, but I have an issue with skin chafing, even when wearing my compression hose. A long time ago I figured out I needed something on my legs, even when wearing a long dress, so I started wearing cotton workout shorts, either thigh-length or capri-length. They keep my legs from chafing and make me more comfortable.

I don't want to wear my compression hose this summer, but I know I need to in order to keep my legs healthy and keep swelling down. But instead of my usual full set, I'm buying a pair of footless compression hose in a lower level of compression. This way I'm still using compression, I can wear sandals or go barefoot, and the hose won't be nearly as hot when I'm outside.

Another option is to pair a short summer dress with a pair of palazzo pants or capris and wear the dress as a
http://www.etsy.com/listing/124528990/anna-linen-wide-leg-white-pants
tunic top, or wear it with a pair of colored matte tights to cover your legs.

Whenever possible, wear clothes made with fabrics such as cotton, linen or silk. Nylon and polyester can help protect you from the sun, but another option is to use a product such as RIT Sun Guard to temporarily add sun protection to your cotton or linen clothes.

Swimming is a summer staple, but for many of us with Lipedema and / or lymphadema, going to a public pool in a swimsuit is like going to the dentist for a root canal. And those suits with the little skirts - they're pretty much a joke when it comes to covering our legs.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/8819.htm
Since I plan to go swimming a few times this year, I'll be buying a set of swim pants from Splashgear. These look like long sweatpants, but the fabric they're made from doesn't cling to your body - a quick shake and they straighten out - and they dry quickly. Another option is a pair of long board shorts to cover your thighs. This company can even custom make board shorts up to size 3x.

I hope all of you make the decision to get off the sidelines this summer. Do whatever you need to do in order to feel comfortable - that's what I'm doing by buying the swim pants - and take part in an activity you've enjoyed in the past or one that sounds interesting. Make the choice to LIVE your life and refuse to let Lipedema control what you do or where you go.

Stay safe, wear your sunscreen, drink plenty of water and have fun!

What are you planning to do this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment