Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Men with lipedema

By Tatjana van der Krabben

“There are only two known cases of lipedema in males.” Does that line look familiar? The overview papers are quick to quote this line. Too quick.

This blog is because we care about the men in our lives and share the concerns of women who suspect their male relatives may have the same genetic flaw.
Seven cases found in literature

N. Laleman (2011/2012) wrote the dissertation Lipoedeem: Pathofysiologie, diagnose en behandeling (University of Gent, Belgium). She has traced seven cases of lipedema in male patients with reference to the following papers:

* Langendoen et al (2009) Lipoedema: from clinical presentation to therapy. A review of the literature.
* Fonder et al (2007) Lipedema, a frequently unrecognized problem.

* Chen et al (2004) Painful fat syndrome in a male patient.

Seven cases she found. Not one or two, which is usually being quoted off each other. What I also like about this dissertation is that Laleman states that only seven cases were described in literature. Not that there only are seven cases. That brings me to my next point.
Not every case is mentioned in literature

That’s right. Despite the fact it’s still rather unique in literature, not every doctor coming across a case has jumped to the opportunity to publish on it. My first (digital) encounter with a male patient was in 2008, just after I got diagnosed. I’m a research junkie and got a lead: liposuction. At the time it was more difficult to find information, so I also checked out forums. I came across a depressed man, desperate for liposuction, but without funds and so far no help from his health insurance; he had lipedema. He implied he would kill himself if he couldn’t get liposuction and look ‘normal’ again. I was feeling rather frail myself, coping with my own diagnosis. I wasn’t at that place in my life where I felt strong enough to reach out. I lost sight of him.

The second time was when brainstorming for the book Lipedema: Help, Hope, Healing. We were unhappy with the lack of practical information, awareness and support. We wanted to do something with that. While going over genetics, Maggie McCarey pointed out she not only had female relatives with lipedema, but also male relatives: both her father and grandfather had lipedema. Her father was formally diagnosed, but never made a paper. Looking back, Maggie realized her grandfather must also have been among the long line of relatives with lipedema.
Through Big fat legs (www.bigfatlegs.com) we know of 3 more cases. Two formally diagnosed and one currently getting tested in a renowned clinic to get diagnosed. Big fat legs (by Maggie McCarey and Stefanie Gwinn Vega) is commonly found by people who have had quite a journey already with their symptoms, but are struggling to get diagnosed or just got diagnosed. People, yes, sometimes men as well, trying to figure out why they have unexplained ‘fat legs’.

And there’s more, although not formally diagnosed at this point. Some women with lipedema have expressed their concerns on forum about their sons, having unusually large legs in comparison to the rest of their body.

How male cases are more or less being dismissed
Each male patient was also diagnosed with a hormonal imbalance (Laleman 2011/2012). As a medically untrained person I say “So?”. With women it tends to flare up with hormonal changes. It’s not like we’re so well balanced hormonally at these stages of our lives. Although not in the literature yet - that is to the best of my knowledge - several doctors (Herbst and Huijberts) have gone on record in lectures pointing out the risk of contraception with hormones in case of lipedema. It can cause the lipedema to flare up. They mostly spoke of birth control pills, but in recent years many women have been getting rid of coils with hormones and HRT etc. and are feeling better for it. That’s nothing formal, tested, medically acknowledged at this point, but still.
Another point is that (modern) diet/food, stress, sleep (deprivation) also affects hormonal levels. What is stable in this context? When is it as it is supposed to be? But I’m digressing here.

With so few cases on record it’s tempting to rule out male cases in front of your nose. It’s so rare, so this probably isn’t lipedema. Mind you, some papers even dare state only women are affected. What if your primary happened to google one of those papers? Rare, I hate that label. Rare is an excuse to dismiss it. Lipedema in women is even still being referred to as rare. No, it’s not rare, it’s often not diagnosed due to lack of knowledge of lipedema and fat bias. In men it may be rare, but it does exist. The notion is not even new: the first male case that made literature was among the 119 case studies by Wold, Hines and Allen in 1951.
With the hypothesis spreading that it is (part) genetic, we must acknowledge that men are very much part of our gene pool. They may be carriers or worse, get afflicted. For all those looking to get help for their male family member(s): if he does have lipedema, he is not alone. For sure.

9 comments:

  1. Interesting. It does seem odd that Doctors don't write these up.
    I have lumpy fat all over my body that was biopsied as Lipoma and I went to Dr. Herbst who said it was lipoedema and gave me some therapies.
    I did find it odd she didn't want to document it bette especially after I looked it up and male patients being so rare.

    I should go dig up the letter she wrote. (and with that and the biopsy doctors still act like I'm nuts).

    Incidentally it seems I may have a neuroendocrine tumor. (wonder if it might be related).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hard to say without a medical background, but the lacking documentation definately is unfortunate. If not documented, it doesn't truly exist in the medical field.

      Delete
  2. I am a European man as well and also have lipedema...
    Alas I am not one of the two referenced guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that. I do hope you're able to find adequate (medical) help.

      Delete
  3. It's frustrating that I'm not able to find more info on males with lipedema. I'm certain This is what my dh, his dad, and grandmother all had. He's always been pear shaped even when skinny, and though he was a very active soccer player as a young adult (and skinny everywhere else) he's always had large hips/legs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, as evidence points out it isn't as rare as still being claimed. I haven't come across any new information either, since writing this blog.
      Tatjana

      Delete
  4. Yes, I think that this is rare/uncommon now a days. I'm male, have been pear shaped my whole life. Been overweight most of that time and now the Lipedema in my legs threaten my being able to walk to get exercise to help with the Lipedema. Kinda thinking in a circle there. :-) Anyways I wish there was a way to get help with this crap from the medical establishment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. has anyone ever been documented as having lipedema other than in the legs?my fiance has all these symptoms but not in his legs. they are in his sides right down to the pebbly skin. he's been in the hospital for 3 years now because they just keep saying he has lymphedema and he's in a very strict diet. he's no closer to getting out than 3 years ago. I'm at my wits end not knowing what to do. we've asked about lipo but we get dismissed because they say it's not "medically necessary".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lipedema is always described as occurring in the legs or starting in the legs. Accumulations in the trunk are not unheard of with other adipose disorders. You may want to look into that. So sorry to hear your fiance is having such severe health issues.

      Delete