Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Power of Words

by Christina Routon

We know the power of words. They can empower us, they can hurt us. We know this all too well as most of us have been hurt by someone else's careless words. But one issue with words are the words we say to ourselves.

We say things to ourselves we'd never say to anyone else. We put ourselves down in many ways, often several times throughout the day. It's no wonder we have low self-esteem and it's difficult for us to believe anyone likes us, let alone loves us.

Part of loving ourselves is paying attention to the words we speak, especially about our appearance. In Song of Solomon, the Shulamite woman says,

Dark am I, yet lovely,
    daughters of Jerusalem,
dark like the tents of Kedar,
    like the tent curtains of Solomon.[c]
Do not stare at me because I am dark,
    because I am darkened by the sun.
My mother’s sons were angry with me
    and made me take care of the vineyards;
    my own vineyard I had to neglect.


(Song of Solomon 1:5-6)

She explains she's tanned and why, and that she neglected her own body because of the work she had to do. In her culture, dark skin meant you worked for a living, typically outside. She knew others would fault her appearance, but she knew there was reason for it. 

Why don't we say, 

I have lipedema, but I am lovely. 
Don't stare at me because of my large legs. Something happened that no one fully understands at this moment in time. Yet I am more than my body. I am a wife, a mother, a sister, a friend. I laugh, I love, I cry. Know me for who I am, not how my body appears. 

One of the most beautiful verses in Song of Solomon is then said on their wedding night. The woman's husband spends time praising her beauty and says this: 

"You are altogether beautiful, my darling; there is no flaw in you." (Song of Solomon 4:7)

We need to see ourselves this way. Make this an affirmation. Say it to yourself daily, especially when you may be tempted to complain about your legs. Say it as you dry off after your shower, as you get dressed for the day or undressed at night. Care for your body by using sweet smelling lotions and perfumes, styling your hair and using good makeup. These things are important, but we also need to tame our tongue and speak words of life instead of words of death. 

Don't allow words of death from the past to overshadow you any longer. Release them, and know you are altogether beautiful. There is no flaw in you. 

These are declarations spoken over us at a small group and retreat we attended in December. Speak them out loud, over yourself and others, if you want. 

LIFE Declarations (From Living in Freedom Everyday, Church of the Highlands)

I declare that you are blessed with God's supernatural wisdom, and that you have clear direction for your life. 

I declare that you are blessed with creativity, with courage, with ability, and with abundance. 

I declare that you are blessed with strong will, self-control and self-discipline. 

I declare that you are blessed with a great family, with good friends, with good health, and with faith, favor and fulfillment. 

I declare that you are blessed with success, with supernatural strength, with promotion and with divine protection. 

I declare that you are blessed with an obedient heart and with a positive outlook on life. 

I declare that any curse that has ever been spoken over you, any negative evil word that has ever come against you, is broken right now. 

I declare that you are blessed in the city. You are blessed in the country. You are blessed when you go in. You are blessed when you come out. 

I declare that everything you put your hands to do is going to prosper and succeed. 

I declare that you are blessed!






No comments:

Post a Comment