Monday, February 4, 2013

Results from my Whole 25

By Christina Routon

I did not complete the Whole 30 challenge. I got through day 25 and I'd had enough.

The Whole 30 is not easy to complete. It wasn't just about giving up the grains and the sugar as I'd already been wheat-free and sugar-free for some time. It was actually harder for me giving up the dairy - the cheese in my eggs, the cream in my coffee. To do this takes planning and preparation, and it seemed the more the month went on it just became more difficult and time consuming.

I learned a lot about myself, and this trumps any results I had with weight loss or inches lost. I learned about emotional attachments I have to food. After a rough day, I wanted pizza and ice cream. The last thing I wanted to do was go home to chicken and vegetables and spend another hour in the kitchen prepping for the next day. However, I know that food will not make me feel better and I believe doing this is helping me break those attachments.

Since going without any type of sugar or sugar substitute for almost a month, now that I can use the sweetener again I find my taste has changed. Before I used about four packets of Splenda in a cup of coffee or tea, trying to mimic the sweet taste of sugar. Now, I may use one and it tastes fine.

I was surprised at how many foods contain sugar, wheat, and other additives. I will definitely continue to read labels and make the best choices possible when buying groceries.

I've learned a new appreciation for vegetables, including vegetables I never would have tried before. My husband makes excellent mashed cauliflower. I love the recipe for jicama home fries and chocolate chili from the cookbook, Well Fed. I've eaten sweet potatoes, butternut and spaghetti squash, broccoli, cauliflower, jicama and so many other vegetables I can't remember. I've learned new ways of cooking and new ways of seasoning food to make it taste good and be interesting every day. I've learned shortcuts such as prepping vegetables ahead of time in containers, pre-cooking ground meat to use in a variety of recipes and using my slow cooker for a roast or chicken. I've made homemade mayo and salad dressing. It was definitely an experience.

As for physical results, I lost two pounds. I'd hoped to lose four or five, but I know lipedema slows weight loss and as I was already wheat-free and sugar-free I didn't expect to lose as much as those going from a typical SAD diet to a Whole 30 plan. I did lose inches, mostly on my arms. I did some exercise, not as much as I'd liked, but I plan to include healthy movement into my days. It may not be a scheduled exercise program, but I am going to do something to move my body and keep it healthy.

I did notice recently my calves feel softer than they did before. I've been using lotion on my legs and for a long time my calves had felt hard. This is important, because lipedema fat on the calves tends to get hard (fibrotic) and lumpy and this affects the way lymphatic fluid moves through the legs. The fact that my calves are softer and actually jiggle (who would have thought I'd be happy to have more jiggly fat?) tells me my body is changing, even if I can't see it.

I'm going to continue a more primal style of diet, predominately paleo but including cheese and butter. This is going to be my diet 95 percent of the time. I'm going to include corn on a limited basis, more in the form of corn tortillas and grits than whole kernal corn, and until Stevia is a bit more affordable I'm going to have to stick with Splenda as a sweetener, if I use one at all. I'm learning more about Omega 3 and Omega 6 fats as well, which I'll share soon, and plan to add more Omega 3 fats to my diet.

I'll probably do another Whole 30 in the fall, maybe around August or September. I'm glad I did it. I learned a lot for my first go round and I'm looking forward to seeing what changes take place as the year progresses.

1 comment:

  1. Christina. This is a brilliant article. It documents EXACTLY how we have to observe and listen to our bodies. You have so much valuable info here--especially about even needing less sugar substitute, YES! When you are on the right path for your diet, your legs will become softer and softer--inflammation going away. And, I would suggest that you lost 2 pounds because you eliminated so much fat from your diet--two sources" cheese and half n half. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete